I was asked, by a charming French lady. Why do English speakers, say `` pardon my french''

http://www.takeourword.com/Issue058.html

``This phrase, in which French refers to "bad language", is employed when the speaker feels compelled to use an obscenity despite having listeners who might be offended. It's a late 19th century euphemism which first appeared in Harper's Magazine in 1895.

It is thought that the term French is employed in this sense as it already had a history of association with things considered vulgar. As far back as the early 16th century, French pox and the French disease were synonyms for genital herpes, and French-sick was another term for syphillis. The OED also equates the adjective French with "spiciness", as in French letter for "condom", French kiss (1923) and French (i. e. "sexually explicit") novels (from 1749).
''



Many bad words!


So why, am I talking about swearing. Well, I went to a football match last night.
I found myself sitting behind, two children Alongside me a man and his wife, and daughter. Surrounded by family. I made a mental note, to watch my P's and Q's


Then the crowd started to chant, Clinton Clinton your a C....

Sometimes, you can just do sweet FA.
----------------------------


Good luck, to Miss Misery, on her move.

Comments

Nessa said…
thank you darling!
Learning Center said…
aww, thanks for looking it up! :) i only knew about the syphillis.

that picture of the bus is just great!

take care :)

Popular posts from this blog

Song for today ``There’s gotta be more…’’

Malchera in High school