Avril

I don't like talking about Music. Whenever I get asked what kind of music I listen to I try to change the subject. Or I feel a little embarrassed.  Oh I can give a clever answer. I choose music very personally. If I like something, it has a specific meaning to me. Its because it moves me.

 

I recently bought a new phone. It has a built in MP3 player. I pass the time at work, now by listening to music.  One of the people I listen to  most often is Avril Lavinge

 

Why Avril you ask? I can't say I am her target demographic. I am in my thirties.  Avril is in her early twenties. In fact, when her first single, ``complicated'' was released. Avril was in her late teens.  Yes, that did make me feel weird. I was in my twenties though

So the age difference between us, was not unheard of.  She is married now anyway. Though she is still causing ructions.

(From the Vancouver sun)

Avril Lavigne too sexy for Malaysia

Vancouver Sun
Published: Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Avril Lavigne is too sexy for Malaysia after all. The Malaysian government is barring the Canadian pop singer from playing a previously scheduled concert on the grounds that her performance would be unsuitable for Malaysian culture, according to media reports.

The youth wing of Malaysia's Islamic opposition party protested Lavigne's plan to play Kuala Lumpur Aug. 29, claiming her show is "too sexy."

Malaysia celebrates its Independence Day on Aug. 31. The fact that Lavigne's show was scheduled in the days leading up to the holiday was deemed problematic.

Avril Lavigne at GM Place.

 

I will get back to her music. Yes I know its been very professionally produced. Yes I know she is selling a certain image. More on that in a moment.

So why do I like her? Well sometimes, its just nice to hear a female voice. I find it strange, that a lot of men, never seem to listen to women sing, but have pictures of women everywhere. 

Avril is not as gifted a singer, as Christina Aguleira, who is very technically skilled. Christina first chart success was on the Mulan soundtrack .

(Disney needed someone who could hit the high F)

So why Avril, well because, whilst I am no longer, Avril's demographic. 15 years ago I was, and I remember

Sk8er Boi, is a song written by a pretty woman, laughing at the girl who turned down her boyfriend in high school. This doesn't happen. But the hope that it might got me through 2003

Complicated, her breakout single. Is quite heartening. Its a teenage girl, complaining about her boyfriend.  Acting up, in public. She admonishes him for wearing preppy clothes. ( If I was didn't like Avril so much , I say shame on you. I hope you never ask, him to approve your new hair do)

 

stickers_b0548d4f591095abffbdecc4a5107d59

(oh no, she doesn't think much of that)

 

I am with you, actually reminds me of my time in Canada.( Avril is Canadian. ) Like her, I was wondering around  in the cold. Looking for people, going to places I did not want to especially be.

My favorite track, is anything but ordinary. Which is found on the Let go album. I can forgive someone, a lot of things if they describe themselves as laughing themselves to sleep.

I know its a lie, I know its a dollar sale. but I remember the days, I remember the need for hope. Maybe its wrong to exploit that hope. If exploiting is 9.99 for a cd. Who knows. Who cares

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song for today ``There’s gotta be more…’’

Malchera in High school