The Road.

The Road

``Magnificent desolation''

This film might give me nightmares. I was planning to see Day Breakers. Whilst I was the ticket machine I decided on this film. Split second decision. Probably one of the best I ever made.

The story is simple. One day something terrible happened to world. A Metorite strike. A Nuclear war? The rapture. I don't know. Life we know, of Laptop PC's of hot showers. Of Concerts ended.

The trees died. The grass died. There was nothing more. The camera lingers on a 100 dollar bill. The father and son, look for empty shopping carts. Its a quiet world. There are no birds. The wind and water is the only noise.


Yet the corpse of this dying world were to be picked over by cannibal bands. There is one scene when the father and the boy enter a house. They notice a fortune in boots lying in one room. A locked cellar and a meat hook signal the most grim and inhuman of discoveries would soon be made

The father teaches his son, how to commit suicide. One of the most difficult pieces of cinema I have ever watched


Whilst the horrors of the world are depicted off screen. A mother and her child. Refugees like Papa and the boy. Are caught by a gang Suicide is a mercy in the unverse of the road. Like St Francis of Assi The Boy and his father see death as a merciful angel. Granting the endless release and security of the grave.

The child playing the boy made an impression on me. Normally I ignore child actors. They are either to twee. Or simply annoying. Here was a child seeing the world for the first time. There was awe and wonder. Sometimes fear. Stubborn. There is one scene where he thinks he sees a little boy. Childish. That is not a criticism. His annoyance at his father's emptying of his pockets in one scene. His sharing of a can of coca cola. Often acting as the conscience for his father.

The supporting cast includes Robert Duvall, and Michael K Williams ( Omar Little) The prophet and the thief. I didn't rcognise Guy Pearce.

One criticism, I have is actually ( Oh Good lord forgive me) is Charlize Her death scene seems wrong. She is perhaps just too beautiful for a dying world. She has given birth a son, in her kitchen. She should look more haggard. I am sorry I love Ms Theron otherwise.

In this dying world. I see renewal. The fire will be lit again. Papa will become a legend.

I almost cried





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song for today ``There’s gotta be more…’’

Malchera in High school