Another ladies night

Ohh to be young again...

From today's New York times..

ANOTHER ladies’ night, not by choice.

After midnight on a rainy night last week in Chapel Hill, N.C., a large group of sorority women at theUniversity of North Carolina squeezed into the corner booth of a gritty basement bar. Bathed in a neon glow, they splashed beer from pitchers, traded jokes and belted out lyrics to aTaylor Swift heartache anthem thundering overhead. As a night out, it had everything — except guys.

“This is so typical, like all nights, 10 out of 10,” said Kate Andrew, a senior from Albemarle, N.C. The experience has grown tiresome: they slip on tight-fitting tops, hair sculpted, makeup just so, all for the benefit of one another, Ms. Andrew said, “because there are no guys.”

North Carolina, with a student body that is nearly 60 percent female, is just one of many large universities that at times feel eerily like women’s colleges. Women have represented about 57 percent of enrollments at American colleges since at least 2000, according to a recent report by the American Council on Education.

I was back at UNC. In November. Perhaps I should have chanced my arm. Its very different from my time. I went through primary school. There were 20 boys to 11 girls. Then I went to an all boys school. before I came to Carolina. I was in Glasgow, which has more men, than women.

Born to late alas...






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song for today ``There’s gotta be more…’’

Malchera in High school