The Olympics



The quietest day I can remember at work for a long time. The sport has chased the readers away

I enjoyed the opening ceremony to the London Olympics. Here are a few of my highlights

Kenneth Brannagh, as Isobard Kingdom Brunel, was  quite appropiate when one recalls Ulster's industrial past. Nice to see a horse drawn bus. A pair of Horse drawn buses. Very London, I cannot remember the last time I saw one and than two turn up at once!


Its odd, that Ireland is represented by Danny Boy but Scotland by Flower of Scotland, which is actually a ``rebel'' song of sorts.

The Bond, and Bean Cameo's were great. I am not especially a fan of Mr Bean, however Atkison, earns his money. My only regret was Amy and the Doctor did not make an appearance. I did see Faulty Towers... and Monty Python.

Hungrary had the prettiest female atheltes.  With a honourable mention going to Austria,

I was suprised Mexico, were cheered so loudly. No disrespect but they are a long way from Home, but good luck to the ladies and gentlemen, from Mexico.  Ed

The 7/7 tribute was well done. As was appearence of Noreen Lawerence. What self cricitism, humility did Bejing display?  I remember Muhammed Ali opening the Atlanta games. On a meaner note. I remember thinking Unlucky ya .... when the french athletes came into the stadium. Edna Kenny stood up to welcome the Irish.

I could feel, the fireworks, from my room, the ground shook, as a series of trains headed north towards the stadium.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song for today ``There’s gotta be more…’’

Malchera in High school