The Witcher


``Throw a coin to your witcher, oh valley of plenty''

I am in two minds.

First I have to thank one of my co-workers for explaining that the story is told over several time periods.
I found Cavil as Geralt of Riveria an interesting piece of casting. I like Henry Cavil. I liked his Superman, I liked him in the Tudors. I have heard he was good in the Man from Uncle but, it took me a while to warm to his Witcher. Cavil seemed to be doing a Clint Eastwood impression. The voice being gruff being a particular bugbear.

Cavil's horse being called roach is another gripe of mine. I hate this trope. It is probably just me but I notice that Neil Gaiman does it too

The scenery is beautiful, some of the CGI is a bit ropey. This is a problem when we have CGI characters talk to the cast. Practical effects were the way to go.

Okay so the books were set in a fantastic Eastern Europe. But we have the usual mix of Brits, paddies and black people This was a mistake I would have preferred an Eastern European look. I think they did with this Freya Allan as Princess Cila But Cavil and Fringilla are obviously what you would see in an upscale cade in Hoxton. I know it is fantasy, and so people can eat potatoes and turkey. I think there is a look, an anesthetic A dark-skinned Tartar makes sense not the children of Notting Hill, and Streatham

Fire arrows. Oh Lindybeige you have so much to answer

The second lead Jenefyer is pretty. I would have preferred they kept her as a hunchback Though in-universe this makes sense. The orgy scene where she meets Cavil's Gerad for the first time is meh. She is even wearing a mask- Why? She does not need to hide her identity

Interesting that they made Yenefyer's quest to be able to have children. They did similar in Game of Thrones with Dany

The law of surprise was well done. The idea that you can be repaid for a favor or a good deed with  the first living thing the helped party encounters  Nice to see  a trope from a fairy tale used well  Nice to see Anna Louise Plowman back too

It's heavier going then game of thrones It's more straight-faced, and the universe is not as well thought out

On the other hand it's just 8 episodes. I will keep going with it...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song for today ``There’s gotta be more…’’

Malchera in High school