Bad Science

I picked this up just after Christmas. I was looking for something to read. I got Frost -Nixon, and Homicide.
It has a recommendation from my old friend Charlie Brooker.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Brooker
It's a fine polemic.
We live in a world, of wonders. I am sitting typing this at night. I am sitting sipping hot tea, in a mug, that changes colour when hot water is poured in. Listening to music on my phone.
Yet we still act, like peasants, or cave men. We still have our voodoo, and our signs and portents. Like the towns men of Salem. We still condemn people, rather then accept the truth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosecutor's_fallacy
A lucid demolition of modern fallacies.
Tacking the MMR question, Homeopathy, and the placebo effect.As well as the question of the strength of illegal narcotics. 
Goldacre warns up to the fact that the scientific method, is routinely ignored, and flouted by the very organisations, who should be promoting it.  We live in a complex world, but we want simple solutions.
It should be remembered for one wonderful revelation
Apparently Penis Pumps work !!!!

I warmly recommend this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song for today ``There’s gotta be more…’’

Malchera in High school