Sharpe versus Wickham from Pride and Prejudice


I have been reading a condensed version of Pride and Prejudice. I meant to read the book, while I still had my kindle. I did not realize that the original draft of Pride and Prejudice was written in the 1790s. With war and rumor of war, prominent in Ireland. Nor did I realize that George Wickham was in the Milita.

As I was explaining the novel to my ESL students. I wanted to give my reaction. As a historian, I noticed two things about Wickham.

Firstly he is in the Milita. Austen who came from a Navy family would have looked upon him as a ``Weekend Warrior'' or perhaps a parade ground or Parish green soldier.
The other point, which I wanted to press. Is in my Macmillian reader, Mrs Bennett tells her daughter, that if Mr Bennett and Mr Wickham meet in London. Wickham will kill him.
Which is what probably would have happen. Bennett would have challenged him to a duel, or they would have had a confrontation in the street. Wickham would have killed Bennett. With no real police force, to stop him

 Its a shame, the story is so well known. Nor does it translate well nowadays. Forgetting the age of Lydia for a moment. Two people living together no longer shocks. Perhaps the reader is distracted, after all. We have a wonderful heroine in Lizzy Bennett. ( Perhaps too much of a dream, the witty clever girl, does not triumph over the fairer one alas)

Anyway I realized I had come across Wickham before....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song for today ``There’s gotta be more…’’

Malchera in High school