So long Shogun


I am not one for things Japanese. I am not animated by anime. I have watched some, I enjoyed some. Indeed I remember watching seemingly random episodes on 4 later in the 1990s
 Anime I don't seek it out. As with Sushi, I would be would be happy to eat it. I don't seek it out

I could see the chatter and cheer  about Shogun on twitter and I  decided to give Shogun a whirl. I suppose I was wearied of viewing nothing produced before 1990

So Disney via FX has made another adaption of the James Clavell novel Shogun

I did like the opening credits. I remember the Japanese Garden being tended by Jake the Rake in Kew 

I enjoyed Shogun. 

The gait of the actresses reminds you that they are actually wearing traditional Japanese clothing. The bald haircuts. 

I liked Cosmo Jarvis. I thought for  a few moments it was Matt Smith - I suspect Smith was the first choice. I got used to Jarvis very quickly. Jarvis does remind me of a young Michael York. 

Watching Shogun felt like being back in Glasgow University. It is raining constantly. Someone is shouting fuck the pope, and there are all these depressed beautiful women. Then someone is attacked with a sword

I liked the humor. The jokes were sparse but well observed. The pheasant stinking up the neighborhood. The consort  ( Moeka Hoshi )being passed  the pistols and pointing them at the guards

I like the Geisha subplot. The Madam trying to create a future for the girls under her management.
The response of her Lord, listening to her pleas - Thank you for this unexpected novelty 

So Indeed Thank you for this unexpected novelty 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song for today ``There’s gotta be more…’’

Malchera in High school